Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cassava Chips



As a huge chip lover, it was not surprising the other day that I was craving something salty and crunchy. On an expedition to Whole Foods Market, I discovered these chips. I decided to buy them because after reading the nutritional label, they had the least amount of calories per serving and other "bad stuff" of the chips I looked at. Cassava Chips are made from the Cassava Plant. The texture is very similar to that of a potato but has more fiber than a potato.

The Cassava Plant is a woody shrub native to South America. The crop grows in tropical or sub-tropical locations. The edible part of the shrub is the starchy tuberous root which is very high in carbohydrates.

The root can be soft boiled just like a potato and is used in many dishes in the same way as a potato. Cassava root flour is also known as tapioca flour and is used to make the "Boba" or "Pearl" in the Asian Boba/Pearl/Bubble Tea drinks.

The chip had excellent crunch, a light and airy texture, and was a very tasty treat that hit the spot for this chip lover. Ginger on Fire was the flavor I tried and it was awesome and highly addictive!

2 comments:

Chris Keele said...

Mmmm- I love me some bubble tea. I get it every day here. Sometimes twice a day. You should figure out if those bubbles contribute to stamina, bigger muscles, or brains, or some other general awesomeness quality that I already possess in abundance but wouldn't turn down if there were an offer to increase one of those qualities.
You should figure out where we are going to eat dinner when I return. Neptune's sounds good, but maybe a little pricey for when I first get back. Not shabu either- I can get hot pot (or steamboat) anytime.
/end

Unknown said...

Hi tiny girl...nice blog! I am going to get me some of those tasty chips! :)